Choosing the right window treatment for your home is no easy task, especially when there’s a home improvement project that seems to drag on and on. But the right window treatment can easily make or break a room, so here’s our list of do’s and don’ts when it comes to finding the right window treatment to cap off your home improvement project.
- DO Start From the Top. Hang your window treatments from the highest point in the room – usually, the ceiling.
- DON’T Worry About Size. Curtains need to be double the width of the windows they’re purporting to cover. It’s okay for the coverings to be “billowing.”
- DO Give Each Room Its Own Treatment. You can keep the color tones similar, but insofar as actual window treatments, it’s best to put different window treatments on different windows in different rooms of the house. You don’t want the house to look like a hotel.
- DON’T Go Crazy With The Fabric. Keep the fabric simple and clean. Don’t put fabric on the windows, the walls, the valence, the skirt…
- DO Consider The Best Fabric For Your Home. It’s not just the décor you have to consider – where do you live? Do you live someplace where there’s a lot of sun? A lighter, easy-to-clean fabric (such as cotton or linen) may be your best bet. Do you live in a colder climate? High-density fabric, such as velvet, is probably a better option.
- DON’T Underestimate The Importance of Window Treatments. Simple aluminum blinds do not a window treatment make – those exist simply to keep the sunlight from blaring in your face as you’re trying to enjoy a meal or sleep off a hangover. Curtains are just as important to the beauty of a window, so do yourself a favor and invest in some.